New month, new decisions. Yup that means there are new families looking to homeschool this year
. If you are lucky enough to have a friend or family member guide you through the process of starting a new homeschooling year – LUCKY YOU! Be sure to thank them tremendously for all their help.
However if you are like many in the Rio Grande Valley area and have no where to turn (or so you think!). Then let me give you some resources that will help get you started. Last year I started creating a Google File titled “New Homeschooler Files” which included Letters of Intent, Local Activity Resource List, Suggested Curriculum List, and links to point you to information that relates to Texas Homeschool Law. Of course I need to update the curriculum list a bit, but for the most part the core suggestions provided by the members of the RGV Homeschool Cooperative Resource Facebook Group are listed.
Throughout the year you will see that I post most upcoming activities to the Google Calendar that is accessible through the webpage and Facebook. At the beginning of the year I schedule coffee socials to help newbies get to know some homeschool veterans in the area. At the end of the year there will be a used book sale where families come together and purge their homeschool curriculum, supplements, and sometimes furniture. I want to advise that a lot of support will come through Facebook group chats. Although if you keep up with the Google Calendar you will find that in-person support is easily found as you participate in upcoming activities.
We have all had a starting point. And believe it or not you have more support than you currently know. Dont be deterred by the amount of home school bloggers, entrepreneurs, or curriculum retailers scattered all over the internet. To help put your mind a little at ease I scoured articles I’ve been saving over the past year. Here are a few I think may give you some encouragement (and a laugh).
- 10 Honest Reasons Parents Choose to Homeschool
- 5 Myths About Educational Gaps to Reject for Homeschoolers
- Why you should homeschool (if you can)
- What is Real Homeschooling?
- Whats your homeschool vision?
- At What Age Should Formal Lessons Start?
- Considering homeschooling? Free e-Book
- Is Homeschool for You? 10 Factors to Consider
- Pros and Cons of Homeschooling: A Homeschool Dad’s Perspective>
- Homeschooling vs Public School: from a mom who has taught both.
- Confessions of a converted Public Schooler
- You don’t legally have to go to school. (Caution: may contain foul language)
- Opportunities My Teens are Missing Because We Homeschool High School
- Homeschooling 101: 6 Steps To Get Started Homeschooling
- Top 5 Ways to Ensure That Your Homeschooled Kid is Weird and Unsocialized